|Carbon Monoxide Detectors|
Every year, CO (Carbon Monoxide) poisons an estimated 10,000 Americans. This poisoning causes over 600 fatalities that could have been easily prevented through the use of a relatively inexpensive and easy-to-install CO detectors. These safety devices contain special sensors that detect and warn when excessive levels of CO are present. There is a new UL (Underwriters Laboratory) approved CO detector on the market that will also determine if there is an explosive gas leak.The Federal Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that every home be equipped with at least one UL (Underwriters Laboratory) approved CO detector on every level of the home, especially near sleeping areas. Most illnesses and deaths attributed to carbon monoxide can be prevented through the use of CO detectors. More information on CO detectors can be obtained from your local fire department. CO is produced when fossil fuels containing carbon (coal, oil or gas); wood, charcoal, paper or any other material are burned without sufficient oxygen to allow for complete combustion or are burned in an unventilated area. As carbon monoxide is inhaled, it inhibits the ability of the blood stream to carry oxygen throughout the body. Symptoms of exposure to low concentrations that are under 50 PPM (parts per million) of CO can cause headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath and chest pains, especially in persons with heart disease. The OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) has established guidelines for business and industry which indicate that continuous exposure to carbon monoxide levels for healthy adults should not exceed 50 parts per million in an eight hour period. For residential use, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has established similar guidelines for a residential setting. Infants, children and ailing adults are more susceptible to lower effects of CO poisoning. Higher concentrations (50–100PPM) can result in severe headaches, dizziness, disorientation, and various flu-like symptoms that mysteriously disappear when away from the home or the source of exposure. Higher levels of exposure can result in a coma, convulsions, cardiac-respiratory failure and death.
When purchasing a CO detector for your home or business, we recommend that you look for the following features:
Follow these simple safety guidelines to avoid becoming an unnecessary victim of the “Silent Killer”…Carbon Monoxide poisoning:
When a CO detector alarm sounds, take immediate action to avoid possible CO poisoning.